Saturday, January 14, 2006

Addicted

That's right. I am an addict. My name is Beth and I am addicted to coffee. Yesterday I went to see my GP for a general checkup. I have to see him many times a year because I have Hashimoto's Disease, which means my immune system is attacking my thyroid gland causing me to have many symptoms. The main symptom is FATIGUE. Not tired, but body dragging fatigue. My doctor described it as "you feel you can't live without an afternoon nap because you are so incredibly tired." Except, I always live without my afternoon nap, okay, sometimes I succomb, but the rest of the time, I drink coffee and I drink alot of it to fight the napping urge. Every morning I have about 3/4 of a pot of coffee and every afternoon at 2pm I make another pot and drink about a 1/2 of a pot more.

The reason I have to continue seeing my doctor is because my thyroid levels are continually dropping. So, I get a blood test done, he calls me and increases my synthetic thyroid dosage, this will continue until my thyroid bottoms out completely. Believe it or not, I can ALWAYS tell when my levels have dropped and I'm always excited to hear my blood tests came back with lowered thyroid levels. Why? Because they can give me something to help me be not so tired, at least for awhile. (I have many other symptoms, but this one is by far one of the most noticeable.)

Anyway, I went to the doctor yesterday and he changed alot of things and also sent me in for more comprehensive bloodwork because he feels "something else is going on." Great. The problem?? I have to fast. Lord help me...I can handle skipping breakfast...but can I still drink coffee? NOPE. So, I decide to go into the lab today to get this torture over with. I had ice cream at 10pm last night, so I was at the lab at 10:10am. (I had to fast for 12 hours) I sat in the waiting room wishing this could go fast. PLEASE. I need my coffee. I could smell it. I felt like my face was swollen, like my eyes were going to close and I wouldn't be able to open them if I let them close. I felt terrible. It was ridiculous.

No, I'm not going to cut down on my coffee intake, but the next time I have to fast or live without coffee, I'll be thankful that I can DRIVE home on my own, ENJOY a wonderful, warm cup of coffee while HUGGING my children and TALKING to my husband.

During my episode today of coffee deprived misery, I realized how lucky I am. I sat in the waiting room watching a family deal with the news that someone in their family had to be airlifted to Chicago after an accident. They walked out the doors, dazed, hospital kleenex in hand with the victim's wife saying "I just want to beat the helicopter there, I just want to be there when he lands." They never thought about the morning cup of coffee they weren't getting.

And I prayed as I listened to the helicopter depart.

6 Comments:

  • At 1/15/2006 06:42:00 AM, Blogger Tracy said…

    Okay, Beth...You had me laughing and then in tears. I am praying for that family. Things like that make us realize how silly some of the things are that we worry about.

    On a different note, I hope your test shows nothing or something that is easily treatable.

     
  • At 1/15/2006 07:42:00 AM, Blogger Penny said…

    i never knew you had such a coffee obession. I LOVE coffee but I average just 1 cup a day.. Don't know why. I need it in the morning but after that one cup I am good to go.

    i hope tests come back good. I will be thinking of you ...

     
  • At 1/15/2006 09:34:00 AM, Blogger Christy M. said…

    Beth,
    Believe it or not, I feel the same way about Diet Cokes. It's sad. I can't use the excuse of dimishing thyroid either. I just LOVE diet coke. I know we are out of DC, I'll make Brian go to the store before bed to get a 12 pack so I will have a nice cold one in the morning. Funny thing is that he obliges!

    I also hope your test results shine a light on what's going on with your body. Hopefully it is something that a simple adjustment of meds will fix.

    Have a great day!

     
  • At 1/15/2006 09:37:00 AM, Blogger Zampeada said…

    i hope you'll be fine with your hashimoto... whatever it is... have a nice day!

     
  • At 1/15/2006 11:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting reading more about your Hashimoto's...so, what happens when your thyroid "bottoms out"? What is the treatment then?

    That is a LOT of coffee girlfriend! :) I need my one morning cup, but then I'm okay (although I'll drink more when I'm home on weekends and have a whole pot there, versus just bringing my one cup to work with me)

     
  • At 1/15/2006 08:15:00 PM, Blogger Sara T said…

    Girl....you need to drink a Starbucks double shot. I love those things. A good pick me up. Course its more expensive...but whatever keeps me going. I didn't even know you had a thyroid problem. Huge HUUUUGS!!! You are amazing! Doing all the stuff you do with that terrible fatigue! You TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting