Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Onions

I've titled this blog onions because I have onions on my mind. I wish I didn't, oh Lord do I wish I didn't, but I do.
One of my favorite meals is at a restaurant called "Buffalo Wild Wings" and I like to get their nachos. So, I decided tonight to try and mimic that dish at home. I knew it had ground beef, chili beans, queso and onions in it, but that's about all I could figure. Well, Brian wasn't home yet so I started making the dinner with the ingredients that I had on hand. Ground beef (extra lean), taco seasoning, some queso, shredded cheese and yellow onions, oh and tostitos. I was certainly lacking. I browned my ground beef and my onions and as soon as Brian got home from work, I ran to the store. I let it simmer while I was gone. Typically, I would have just let it go and made do with what I had, since running to the store before dinner is something I try to avoid doing, but I really wanted to try to make this type of nachos. But what I really wanted was a red onion. I bought the red onion and black beans and queso, came home and finished the meal and it was pretty good. Not as good as the real deal, but not bad. The red onion was incredible. Perfect. It's interesting because I used to hate onions. Even now, I wouldn't eat a sauteed onion if you paid me and I don't like my burgers with onions on them, but I always try to add them to my recipes. I love red onion on salads, too. Anyway, onions can be so tasty while you're eating them, but the lengths you go through to get the taste and smell out of your mouth after you're done eating them is outrageous!! And my house REEKED of onions. I opened my windows, washed down the counters, took out the trash and lit a candle just to get rid of the onion smell. Even now, 5 hours after having dinner, all I smell is onions. But I'll never leave it out of the recipe!

Anna slept in her bed all night last night. She woke up at 8:45am and waited until 9am when I came and got her. She's a good girl. As of right now, Noah is expressing NO interest in sleeping in his own bed. He can't crawl onto Anna's bed, so he's pretty frustrated with it. Anna also received a package from her "Aunt Jenny" today. (Aunt Jenny is my very good friend and soul sister, Jennifer Helen...she'll get a blog entry dedicated to her very soon.) She received butterflies to hang from her ceiling in her bedroom. They're adorable and Anna loves them! (so do I!)

Anna and Noah have their 2 and 3 year old appointments tomorrow. Brian is taking off of work to go along. The last time we were at the doctor's office the doctor hurt Anna's ear. He was checking for an ear infection but couldn't see in due to ear wax so he was scraping her ear out. Well, she kept moving and it cut her. So, since November Anna has been saying "Dr. Miller hurt me." Should be interesting as we pull up to the doctor's office.

I leave you with some pictures of Noah, since I feel I have neglected him in my blog. We did put big boy underwear on him tonight for the first time ever. He peed in them within, hmmmm......3 minutes.

6 Comments:

  • At 2/02/2006 06:24:00 AM, Blogger Tracy said…

    How brave are you putting big boy underwear on Noah!!! Wow, I would never try that right now with Timmy. I know that it would be like, hmmmmm, me just pulling them up and him going.

    Yippee for Anna!! Haw awesome is that. She is such a big girl. I will have to take a picture of Emma's room to show you. She has butterflies hanging from her ceiling. I laugh when I read about the Anna, because it is almost always something that Emma does or has. Like they should have been sisters.

    My house smells like onions today. We had suasage and peppers last night. I never ate onions until I was pregnant with Timmy. Now I like cooked onions. Still can't handle them raw.

    Good luck at the dr. I can't wait to hear how much they have grown!

     
  • At 2/02/2006 08:44:00 AM, Blogger Lynette3boys said…

    Ugh! Onions! I don't mind the flavor in foods, but I go the easy way out and use onion powder. No nasty lingering smells and it still tastes good too. Real onions do me in. I could clear a room if I ate a real onion!!! LOL!!!

    Good to hear Anna is being an amazing girl with her new bed. I can't believe she waited for you to come and get her. Wow.

    Hope all goes well at the doctors appointment today. That reminds me I should schedule Carson's 3 year check up. How time flies!

     
  • At 2/02/2006 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Christy M. said…

    Beth, we must be cut from the same cloth! All my life I hated onions too! Now I only like them if they are on salad or nachos or cut up really small and cooked in something. I wouldn't eat sauteed onions alone if you paid me. Blech. Feels like gross, slimey worms.

    Glad to hear that Anna is doing good with her bed! What an angel of a child!!!

    Cute pictures of sweet Noah too! What a great smile.

    Now I want nachos! I was planning on Fetuccine Alfredo tonight, but it might just have to be nachos. YUMMY!!

    Good luck with the dr. apointment today!!

     
  • At 2/02/2006 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Penny said…

    ahh some day Sam will be potty trained. some day.. hopefully before college..

    Beth it is great that the bed transplaning is going well. hope the onion smell is gone now.

     
  • At 2/02/2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Sara T said…

    am I strange??? I LOVE onions. My hubby doesn't like them..and I thought he was weird..cause everyone in my family loves them. Maybe we are the weird ones?? LOL! I even love the smell of them.

    Those butterflies are so cute!

    You put big boy underwear on??? OMG! You are brave! WOW!!! Colin has no signs yet of potty training. Any signs from Noah??

     
  • At 2/02/2006 01:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I LOVE ONIONS!
    The taste, the smell, (well not 5 hours later, oh and certainly not on my fingers)how lovely they look as garnish as well! Put them in chili, tacos, pizza, burgers...omg, now I'm starving!I bought a lovely looking red onion 2 days ago, and I salivate when I think of eating it! mmmmmm.

    I recorded Oprah, hopefully I'll be able to see it sometime today.

    I just love Anna's bed. Can you take some pics of the butterflies on her ceiling?

    In my professional opinion (I'm professional because I have 2 boys) *rofl* 2 seems fairly early for boys. Ryan was a solid 3 years old and Jared was longer than that. Now Emily decided to potty train herself at 26 months. I didn't do a thing, and that was it. I really believe girls are easier. Maybe because their 'stuff' is so close to their body. LOL.

    I'm rambling.

    Tell Anna and Noah "hello" from me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting