Thursday, January 19, 2006

Breakfast with Oprah and some eye surgery to follow

I'm not sure I should be posting right now because I am really tired. But, I didn't want to let my fans down. (Yes, I'm talking to you!)

I found out I was going to Oprah last Friday when my very good friend Lynette called me offering a ticket to the Oprah show! This girl has TALENT when it comes to getting on Oprah. She's been to the show THREE times in one year. (I have been fortunate enough to tag along twice!) They did not tell us the topic which is common. Well, yesterday at 3pm, Oprah's staff calls Lynette saying they have a last minute change in the show schedule and the new topic is going to be "ask Oprah your burning questions." The staff member asked Lynette to gather questions from herself and her party. They needed all questions to be e-mailed to them by 5pm. So, Lynette called me and I got to work on this task! I called my sisters, I called my Mom and I enlisted the help of my VERY smart FOA co-team leaders. The funny thing was that I hadn't told them that I was going to the show. I was hoping to surprise them with a good "I went to Oprah today story" but that kinda flew out the window. Anyway, thanks to so many people, we e-mailed a ton of questions.

So, we arrive at Harpo Studios at 6:45am. Long line. Wait. wait. wait. But that's okay. It's warm and we're about to see Oprah. They gave us cards to fill out to ask a question and they pull people out of the holding area (where we sit before going to the studio) to videotape their questions to be aired during the show. So, finally we get into the studio at 8:45am and they tell us we are actually get TWO shows, rather than one. Well, one of the shows they already taped had 2 huge "breakings news" segments since the original taping that they wanted to add, so we got to be part of the audience for that show. (which means Oprah puts the same outfit on she wore for that day) By the way, did you know she doesn't wear the tall tall heels when she walks out to the front of the stage? She changes once she gets there! At least she did today. So, long story short, our show was not about asking questions at all. We had Breakfast with Oprah! Right away they treated us to croissants flown in special, just yesterday, from France, and we had a cup of her favorite coffee. Later she treated us to cupcakes that Barbara Streisand had shipped to her from LA for Christmas. So, why did they PRETEND like we were asking questions? All for one person. We had a surprise celebrity. The person in the audience was a huge fan of Mary J. Blige. So, we got to see Mary J. Blige perform two songs and Oprah interviewed her. It was a great show. The best part, though, is the way Oprah TOTALLY interacts with us during breaks, or stage changes. Like she's with friends. It's crazy. She's awesome. There are other pieces of information that I'll share later, but for now I'll talk about eye surgery.

We get in the car after the show and my friends drop me off about 8 blocks east to where Brian is to have surgery. He picks me up about 5 minutes later and we park and stop at Starbucks and head up for some PRK. The first thing they do is collect payment. ow. :-) They run a test on Brian, give him some valium and take him into the "operating room." Guess what? It's all windows. I sat in a comfy chair watching Brian get operated on. Not only that, but his EYEBALLS were on flat screen tvs, therefore I saw everything! Pokes, prods, scrapes, lazers, suctions, rinsing. It was terrible!! At first I thought I was going to lose my LA cupcake, but I got used to it and was fine. It was a little difficult for me seeing Brian's eye on the screen because there was no doubt it was HIS eye. An eye I love, an eye I have always loved. It just felt wrong seeing someone do that to someone's eyes, especially Brian's! But the procedure took about...hmmmm.......7 minutes per eye, so I didn't have too much time to think about! 7 MINUTES! I was shocked. We got there at 12:30pm and left at 1:40pm. The best part? He could see. Without contacts, without glasses. That will change over the weekend, his vision will get worse over the weekend before getting better, but by Monday he can start driving without any contacts or glasses. It's just crazy.

Brian has been resting all night, which I love. He doesn't rest alot, so this relaxation is much needed. He can't read or look at the computer (what!!?!?!!??!) and if he wants to watch TV he has to wear special glasses, but he's VERY light sensitive. Luckily, his amazing wife bought him Narnia on CD, so he's been listening to that since 3pm! I have four different eye drops and one pain killer to keep track of, but it's well worth it. By the way, this eye institute is great. They do all of the Chicago Bears and Cubs players. A very good reputation. The surgeon operated in his socks. I didn't like that, but what can you do!

I'm so sorry this post is so jumpy! I'm tired!

oh, and Sara, I couldn't be happier that my comment meant so much to you. That means the world to me. I meant every word.

5 Comments:

  • At 1/19/2006 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Penny said…

    WOW beth WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.

    That is all I can say. Did you get on the tv. I don't watch oprah but i have to see that episode. When will it be on. I am so excited for you :)

    I hope Brian has a good weekend.. you baby him (which I am sure you do) it is hard o see loved ones like that. neat hat he can see.

     
  • At 1/20/2006 08:29:00 AM, Blogger Tracy said…

    Holy Moly!!! That is AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to see that episode. You need to tell us when it will be on!!

    I am so happy that Brian is ok. I can't believe it was so fast. I don't think I would have been able to watch. I have a very weak stomach for things like that. It is hard though when you husband goes through that. David had surgery and I remember waiting for the surgeon to come out. So many things went through my mind.

     
  • At 1/20/2006 10:36:00 AM, Blogger Christy M. said…

    Yippeeee!! Please be sure to let us know when it airs!!! I can't believe you had breakfast with Oprah!! How fun!!

    I can't believe you had to watch Brian's eye surgery on TV. I totally understand how you felt knowing those eyes were they eyes you love. What if something went wrong? Aye, Aye, Aye (or Eye, Eye, Eye!). Glad everything went smoothly though. I can't wait to hear how he likes life without glasses and contacts. I've been thinking about the surgery for years... Anyway, give Brian my greetings and tell him not too milk the pampering too much ;)

     
  • At 1/20/2006 01:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so envious!! That is awesome! I would LOVE to see an Oprah show. Man, that's great.

    And kind of ick, kind of cool on Brian's surgery. I'm so glad it went well!

     
  • At 1/20/2006 10:19:00 PM, Blogger Sara T said…

    ummmm....COOL! I have to admit that I have never watched Opera. I know...HARD to believe...but true. I have never ever been home during the day time. School, College, work. Good to know she is down to Earth though. I am so glad you had such a blast though! That is awesome! And so jealous of the speciality food. (Isn't it sad that I was more excited for you about the food??? Yikes!)

    I am glad Brian is doing good! I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting