Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Umm...is this the Geriatric Yoga Class?

The gym ended my Beginner's Yoga Class. I had a three week warning, the last class was last week. The instructor told us we would be fine, that although it was a little more difficult and 25 minutes longer, we would all get through. Those words weren't that encouraging to me, really.

Today I had planned to attend the class and I was scared. I was quite sore from doing strength training the last two days and Noah was up quite a bit last night, so my muscles were mad and my mood needed adjusting, but because I scheduled day care and I did not want to do strength training three days in a row, I bit the bullet and headed to the class. Mind you--after every class I am sore. REALLY sore. Which to me means this shit is working. And I like that.

So, I drop the children off, put my purse and jacket in the locker room and head into the studio. And everyone was old. Not 50's old, friends. s-e-v-e-n-t-i-e-s and eighties. I was still frightened, but it made me feel a little better. It wasn't until halfway through that I thought "oh my God, is this a Geriatric Yoga Class?" I started to sweat at the thought, I quickly looked around and saw a man in his 50's and I thought, "he's not geriatric, I must be okay." But secretly I was still scared that I was intruding on their excercise class. Please do not get me wrong. I love old people, I swear I do. I would kill to be in a yoga class filled with my elders. They're nice, polite and non-judgemental. They don't care about what they have or don't have and they could care less about what you have or don't have. They're just happy to be alive. That's my kind of company.
So, about halfway through the class, we were stretching our legs using a strap, which is one of my favorite things to do. It was a similiar stretch to the picture, except our right legs were extending across our bodies, stretching to the left. So, here I am, stretching to the left when my neighbor, we'll call her Grandma, tickled my foot. You can't make this stuff up. It's true. I, of course, enjoyed that. I snickered at the thought of doing that to a neighbor in a non-geriatric class, a neighbor my age, I don't think it would have been taken so lightly.
All in all, the class was great, it only last about 50 minutes, but it was fun and well worth the ride.
By the way, I checked the schedule of events...and it was Advanced Yoga. And there is no Geriatric Yoga Class.

Oh and I do not know the person in the picture.

4 Comments:

  • At 3/30/2006 06:20:00 AM, Blogger Penny said…

    OMG Beth. LOL that is soo funny.. I hope the class is slowly filled up with a more diverse group LOL

     
  • At 3/30/2006 01:26:00 PM, Blogger Sara T said…

    OK....I was laughing my butt off thru that entire post. You are great Beth...I love it...so funny! Tickled your foot....HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

     
  • At 3/30/2006 03:59:00 PM, Blogger Lynette3boys said…

    That is way too funny! You're right, you can't make that stuff up. Great post - thanks for a good laugh.

     
  • At 3/31/2006 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Christy M. said…

    LMAO!! Okay Beth, fess up, were you using your camera phone to snap pictures of the geriactric yoga class? I'm cracking up!!

    Maybe "advanced" is the new politically correct term for "old"!!!

    Keeping on trucking girl!! You're doing an awesome job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting