Friday, March 10, 2006

Life has taken another turn

My plan this morning was to head to my eye doctor's appointment before hitting the road to visit my sick nephew. On my way to my appointment, Sarah called and told me that Mike, her husband, was sick. I wasn't sure what to do with this information. On one hand, it made me want to drive faster and get to Louisville because I felt they may REALLY really need my help. On the other hand, I couldn't help but picture getting this virus and bringing it home to Anna and Noah. I couldn't stand the thought.
After consulting with many people and having a good conversation with Sarah. I turned the car around and headed back home.
I am the type of person who follows my heart, not so much logic. I think I am logical, but if my heart pulls me in a certain direction, I usually follow my heart. This time was different. I literally had to say to myself "don't follow your heart, be smart." And it was hard. I wanted so badly to be in Kentucky today. I had already had a heartbreaking goodbye with Anna and Noah, the worst was over, I was packed and ready to go. (did I say heartbreaking goodbye????? it broke in 2) But I came back home.

Sarah, Mike and the birthday boy Ethan are all at home. He's doing much better. Sarah is reporting "Ethan-like" behavior once again! The nurses brought Ethan a smash cake for his birthday. How great is that?! . Mike did end up with a fever of 101.4, hopefully he won't get the stomach flu that poor little Ethan had.

This morning at the hospital.

Ethan at home!!

5 Comments:

  • At 3/11/2006 06:00:00 AM, Blogger Mich said…

    Sickness is so sad for everyone involved---what a picture! I'm glad the little guy is feeling better, how scary.

    Probably very wise to stay home, even though it wasn't what you wanted to do! Now you can all go to Louisville and enjoy a belated celebration!

     
  • At 3/11/2006 06:18:00 AM, Blogger Tracy said…

    Oh my goodness the difference in him is great!!! Emma had something similar (although she was 1 1/2 years older than Ethan) and she was also like a wet dishcloth. The nurse put the IV in her in the hospital and she didn't care.

    Beth, I often have to pick between my heart and logic. As you most of the time my heart wins, but when it comes to illness logic has to win for my children's sake. The heartbreaking goodbyes are always the worst. I often cry quite a bit. When I was at the airport leaving for Vegas, I was in tears talking to Emma on the phone. She was fine, it was me that has the problem leaving them.

    Glad you and Ethan are both home!!!

     
  • At 3/11/2006 09:37:00 AM, Blogger Penny said…

    That poor little guy..

    I hope they keep on the mend

    Isin't it hard when your plans change like that.. big hugs Beth.

     
  • At 3/11/2006 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Lynette3boys said…

    You were very smart in following your logical thinking. Your family just got over being sick and doesn't need to be exposed again. That picture of Ethan in the hospital just breaks my heart. He looks so sad and sick. I just want to hug him! He is so darling!!! I hope Sarah stays healthy - poor family! Enjoy this weekend with your family Beth.

     
  • At 3/11/2006 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Christy M. said…

    Wow, the pictures tell a great story. Poor Ethan looked so sad and hurt in the hospital pick. And once he got home he looked 200% better!! Amazing.

    I'm glad you decided to stay home. You're family's had enough sickness over the past few weeks. I'm glad you didn't follow your heart this time, although I know it was hard.

    Hugs!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting