Tuesday, April 04, 2006

What would you do to save your child's life?

Of course, you would do anything. As would I. After working with Friends of Allie for so long I have seen my fair share of heart break. Tragedy. Unthinkable, unbearable loss. You are so lucky because your child is alive. Not only alive, but thriving, growing, learning and loving. After learning about Allie Scott in 2004 and reading Jenny Scott's on-line journal about their day to day life with a child dying from Acute Myeloid Leukemia, I thought to myself "I have to do something. I can't read another entry without helping in some way." I thought about sending a gift to Allie, or a letter, an e-mail, a gift card for food or groceries. I just wanted to give something, I wanted to make a difference. But instead I decided to volunteer. Instead of sending a $15 gift card, feeling good about myself and continuing on with life as usual, I decided to join the national Light the Night team, which are walks held by The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society across the country and Canada. That year my local team raised $2129. When Allie died in September of 2004, I knew this was something I would be apart of for a long time. Now, in 2006, I can't imagine my life without Friends of Allie. God has blessed me with eight other woman across the country that I work with as team leaders for Friends of Allie that I love, I like to think it's a gift He has given us for our service to FOA. We are dedicated and determined. But it's not just us, we consist of THOUSANDS of people, just like you, trying to make a difference.
In 2005, my local team raised over $4000. Within 2 years, Friends of Allie has raised $688,000 nationally. Every dollar that was raised was raised by people who just "had to do something" just like me. And we do have to do something. Children continue to die and suffer. Cancer is the number one killer among children. You are lucky. Take that luck and run with it, but while you're running, do something to prevent your next child or grandchild or great-grandchild from suffering or God forbid, from dying.

I just learned of a little girl named Caylee. Visit her site. Be sure to watch and listen to this video.

Also, on April 1st, Friends of Allie released our second newsletter of the season, please read it, educate yourself.

Lastly, do something. Honor those children who have lost their battle, who watch over their parents trying to cope with that unbearable, unthinkable loss. Honor those children who have suffered more in their short lives than you will ever have to suffer. Become a captain, join a team. Do something.

I challenge you to stop turning your head to hide from your fear and face it head on and do something.

4 Comments:

  • At 4/05/2006 08:10:00 AM, Blogger Sara T said…

    I am so PROUD to work beside you. :)

     
  • At 4/05/2006 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Penny said…

    oh Beth that was amazing.. your amazing..

     
  • At 4/05/2006 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Christy M. said…

    I love working with you Beth! It is amazing how we've all come together. I think about it all the time. What would my life be like without my FOA girls? BORING, not near as fulfilling, well, you know!

    I'm blessed to have you, Tracey, Lois, Jenn, Penny, Tracy, Sara, and Lara in my life!!!

     
  • At 4/06/2006 02:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Excellent post girlfriend!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting