Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Malaria

Apparently, I could have malaria. Today, I went to donate blood. After going through the series of questions, getting my finger pricked, blood pressure taken, pulse and temp and everything checking out just fine. I was asked if I have been to Mexico. I said "yes." Which part? "Playa del Carmen." "You can not donate, Malaria is all over Playa del Carmen, I just need you to sign here."
I was stunned. "but I was there for FIVE hours...on a cruise. Five hours. On the coast."

It didn't matter.
Needless to say, I was (am) heartbroken. Apparently I am not the only traveler who feels this is ridiculous as I came across an article written by someone who experienced the same thing.

I have just a few questions:
-Why isn't this deal breaker information on the Red Cross website or in the literature you have to read before starting the donation process?
-Why are cruise lines taking you to places that apparently have malaria and not telling you about it? I can tell you this, if Royal Caribbean had told me that by stepping foot on that particular Mexican soil meant not donating blood until May 2007, I would have sat my ass down on the ship and Brian and I could have had the pool to ourselves!

Needless to say, I walked out, not saying a word, trying not to burst into tears.
I can't wait for May 2007.

3 Comments:

  • At 6/15/2006 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Sara T said…

    I really thank the whole thing is RIDICULOUS as I have already told you. I mean a whole year??? Jeez!! I could see a few months or something...but a year???

    I am still very proud of you for even trying! You rock girl!!! And I know you will do it right away in May 2007.

    Hugs sweetie!

     
  • At 6/15/2006 03:20:00 PM, Blogger Penny said…

    OH Beth I am so sorry :(

     
  • At 6/18/2006 08:40:00 PM, Blogger mommy3 said…

    I'm sorry Beth :( Such a bummer that you couldn't give. I can't believe they didn't mention the threat of malaria before leaving the ship. Nonetheless, it was so selfless of you try.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting