Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Guilt

Why do Moms always feel guilt.

Guilt because I have to clean rather than play.
Guilt becuase one child has colored on her pillows and I have to punish.
Guilt because same child has also colored on the remote control and I have to punish.
(yes, I know...magic eraser.)
Guilt because they may watch too much television.
Guilt because I get irritated when they wake up in the night and I have to get out of bed.
Guilt because I do not want to buy "Princess" cereal anymore because it' s too high in sugar. (when it's what one child talks about before going to bed. "I'm going to have my princess cereal for breakfast tomorrow!!")
Guilt because I couldn't buy Thomas or Sweet Streets at Target tonight because I'm a stay at home Mom.
Guilt because I did buy two tank tops.
Guilt because they will never have a dog.
Guilt because our house is not clean enough.
Guilt because our furniture is not secure to the walls.
Guilt because I spank. (if you don't like it, I don't care.)
Guilt because I just ate too much ice cream...oh wait, that has nothing to do with being a Mom, or does it?
Guilt because I occasionally have dinner with friends.
Guilt because I have meetings a couple of times a month.
Guilt because I'd rather grocery shop alone, although I seldom do.
Guilt because I'm going out of town this weekend. (tremondous guilt...tremondous.)
Guilt because they wake up wanting me and I won't be here for them.
Guilt because I take my kids to a germ infested childcare so I can work out.
Guilt because I eat too much ice cream after working out.
Guilt because I'm not certain I hugged them enough today.
Guilt becuase I'm not certain I kissed them enough today.
Guilt because I'm not certain they know just how much I love them.
Guilt because they want to go outside and swing and I don't take them.
Guilt because it only took me four minutes to come up with this list.
Guilt because I feel guilty.

I'm tired of feeling guilty.

8 Comments:

  • At 6/01/2006 09:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6/01/2006 09:27:00 AM, Blogger Beth said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6/01/2006 10:11:00 AM, Blogger Sara T said…

    OK....another list:

    Why Beth is a WONDERFUL mother:

    She IS a stay at home mom and sacrifices getting things for herself.

    She IS doing a healthy lifestyle for her...which gives her more energy for her kids..and teaches them a better healthy lifestyle.

    She signed up for a gym with a GOOD daycare..which the kids can interact with other kids!

    She gives hundreds of hugs and kisses.

    The kids always want to be around her...even in the bathroom!

    She is doing mommy time...which makes for a happier mommy!

    She plays with her kids! And is very fun!!

    She loves them with every single breath she takes and her heart is overfilled with love for these kids. She would jump in front of a bus for them without blinking an eye.

    Her punishments create good kids...not kids that walk all over their parents and others.

    She lets her kids express their personalities...even if that means doing 25 more loads of laundry a week.

    She snuggles with her kids every chance she can take.

    She teaches her kids important life lessons daily.

    If these were not an enough...you need to look back at all the beautiful smiles! There is never a picture where there isn't a beautiful smile. I think you are a fabulous mother. And I don't see any flaws at all. I have never thought...maybe if Beth did this she would be a better mom. NEVER!!!!! You are a role model to other moms. And the fact that you feel guilty..is a true meaning of a mother. I think they come in hand and hand. And if you didn't feel guilty...that means you don't care! Which is obvious you do.
    And there is NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY that the kids don't know they are loved. Remember what you said...they want you! THEY WANT YOU!!!! You! That itself is enough to know how truly loved you are! You are such a wonderful mommy! I wouldn't be friends with you otherwise. ;)


    Now give yourself a hug from me. And tell Brian to put up those furinture brackets. Their easy! swear. Took Doug an hour to do all of them. :) You could do it easily.

    I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 6/01/2006 11:31:00 AM, Blogger Tracy said…

    I feel your pain Beth, but Sara is so right!! I love you Sara!!! YOu really hit the nail on the head with her list. You are a great mom. Children don't need us to fall all over them every second of the day. That isn't what a SAHM is. A SAHM nurtures her children to provide for themselves, express themselves, use their imagination and love life. Actually, that is what all moms do. The good ones have happy children. Just look back at your blog and see all those smiles.

    Being a SAHM is more important than buying Thomas and all the other crap they sucker us into buying, and then picking up and then them getting into trouble for not putting the crap away.

    Big Hug Beth. I think we all feel that way. I know I do. Guilt comes with being a mother.

     
  • At 6/01/2006 02:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ditto to Sara's comment. :) We should get together and drink a toast to mommy guilt!

     
  • At 6/01/2006 02:42:00 PM, Blogger Mich said…

    oh hugs to you Beth, and I second Sarah's list. Seriously, you are an AWESOME mom, and I often wonder how you do it!!

    You are raising two wonderful kiddos (me? biased?) who love you to pieces. You are raising two children who will have values and know right from wrong. It is a loooonnnnnngggggg process.

    Take the guilt and throw it out the window.

    Seriously, who has time for that noise???

     
  • At 6/05/2006 11:04:00 AM, Blogger Christy M. said…

    Okay, I have all the guilt as you do (well, except the ice cream thing. I could only dream!!)

    I think Sara is right and the way I look at it is, being a mom means feeling guilty.

    We all do the best we can for our children. I know I strive to do more than my parents did. Imagine the world in a few generations if our kids do more for their kids than we did for them. Shew! Did that make a lick of sense?

    Beth, you're doing an awesome job and one day your kids will thank you for it.

     
  • At 6/11/2006 07:44:00 AM, Blogger Elisa said…

    OMG, I'm practically crying after reading that. I've got a lot of the same guilts as you.

    It's ok. We'll be ok. That's what I tell Emma all the time when she cries "it's ok, everything is going to be just fine." Say it to yourself. It sort of helps.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting