Monday, September 25, 2006

the unwelcomed change

I really wanted to blog about my weekend, about how Friday night, we celebrated Brian's Mom's birthday, she is someone I truly treasure in my life. We had decorations, a great cake, meatloaf and the dreamiest of creamy mashed potatoes, all homemade, made by me. I would also like to tell you about my Saturday, a dreary day, but I spent time shopping alone at Kohl's and Target, then I attended a Sensaria party where I soaked my feet and sat with friends. Then we had a great evening at home, eating homemade tacos. After tacos, we went to visit one of my high school friends who was visiting from Illinois. She just had a baby boy in July. (Amy F.--think of a tall volleyball player- L.P. know who I'm talking about?) It was a wonderful visit. On Sunday, we woke up super early and visited my sister and her husband in Michigan near Detroit. We had a great time, the kids played, Brian played and I...well...I ate, ALOT. (welcome back, Weight Watchers!) So much I'd like to blog about, but I can't, because there is something so heavily on my mind it's hard to concentrate.

On Saturday morning at 1 AM EST, my sister's husband, (they live in Louisville) stepped out onto their porch because it was raining heavily. It was then that he noticed water coming towards their apartment. By 3am, water was to their knees in some places. They have a 19 month old and a 7 WEEK old. They gathered what they could, put as many things up on top of countertops as quickly as possible and they left. The evacuated to their neighbors apartment, someone upstairs, someone they had never met, with both children in tow. My BIL called his friend who said he was on his way to pick them up. Because the streets were flooded he couldn' pick them up directly at the complex, so this family of four walked through the pouring rain to meet him. People were everywhere outside. Both of their cars were flooded.

Sarah called me the next morning at 9am and told me what happened. My initial thought was "I can't believe she experienced this six hours ago and I'm just learning of it now" and my second thought was trying to figure out how I could help. Luckily, they have renter's insurance, well, we thought it was lucky except that renters insurance does not cover floods. No home and no help from insurance. The waters rose and receeded, leaving it's mark on their apartment, their belongings and their hearts and memories forever. Toys, clothes, shoes, pictures-gone. In a moment. Brian and I laid in bed last night thanking our lucky stars that we were in our bed and our kids were in THEIR beds. The comforts in life we so easily take for granted. What I would give for my sister and her family to have that same feeling of comfort once again.

My heart feels broken. I can't imagine what my sister is feeling. Tonight I did some shopping, I tried to replace a few things, and alot of the toys Ethan lost we have the same toys in our basement. We are meeting Wednesday night so I can give her these things. Her brothers and sisters are helping by donating gift cards to places like Target, etc. I wish we could do more. I keep thinking-3 months from now, this will all be a memory, somehow that brings me comfort. I hope it brings them comfort. Their days are long, wet and so tiring, I don't know where they are getting their stamina. Not only are they enduring something so difficult, they are handling it with such grace and dignity and in the midst of it all, they are teaching me about strength.

Thank your stars tonight. I am thankful for their safety.

3 Comments:

  • At 9/26/2006 07:37:00 AM, Blogger Elisa said…

    So sorry to hear this. I hope they get everything straightened out soon. Is the baby a girl? If so, let me know I've got some baby clothes I could send to her. Mostly summer stuff, but maybe she could use a few things.

     
  • At 9/26/2006 12:36:00 PM, Blogger Sara T said…

    That really does beyond SUCK! I am very relieved that they are all ok and that is what matters most. Is there anything I can help with? Let me know if they need anything...I will go straight to the store and get it. Hugs to the whole family! I am thinking and praying for you all.


    Happy bday to Brian's mom.

    Let me know if you need anything!

     
  • At 9/27/2006 11:43:00 AM, Blogger mommy3 said…

    I have been thinking of Sarah's family all week. I can't imagine how devastated they must feel. I have some clothes for Mary Addison if they can use them. Just let me know where to send them once they're settled. Or, I can send them to you if you will be seeing them soon.

    I'm glad your weekend still had its wonderful moments. Great food and solo shopping sound divine.

    Keep us updated on your sis!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting