Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Stop. Breathe. Think.

I am a very frustrated Mom. Last night I slept for 8.5 hours. I woke up and did a full video of Yoga while the kids slept and they nap at the same time for 2 hours just about everyday. So, why do I feel I am losing my patience? I'm pretty sure it's not me. It's my children. Anna is going through a stage right now that I, to be honest, am not prepared for. She challenges everything I say and rule we set. And I'm tired of it. It's like she woke up one day and said "I'm independent, I'm old enough to make my own decisions, I only need them to do my laundry and drive me to Target. I'm 3 and damn proud of it. Aint nobody gonna stop me." I know this stage will be over soon, but it's only been 13 days, (seriously, 13 days) how much longer can I last?

Today was exceptionally difficult simply because my Noah is just not feeling well. When this child doesn't eat, he's sick. BUT THEN AGAIN... what if he's being naughty? I mean, when I serve him is big, glorious plate of food, 3 in one day, he practically throws the plate across the table and won't eat.
Being a Mom is more than cleaning after your child, nurturing your child and teaching your child...it's being psychic and having the ability to be on your toes every single moment of the day. I'm not psychic. So, I'll call the doctor tomorrow and say "Noah has had a cold, he's sleeping and napping fine, no fever, but he will not eat." I'll bring him in and I'll find out "it's just a virus." Does that mean he's just naughty? Am I secretly wishing for an ear infection because that's easier to explain than "he's just being a turd?" I don't know what I want. What I do know is that even though these days have been very hard and I can't wait to put them to bed, I do always love being a Mom. always. I am not lying. I am not wrong. I am quite clear on this issue. I love it. Sometimes the responsiblities are something I could pass up for an hour or two, or maybe even 3 days! but being a Mom, nope, I'll take it, through thick and through thin, through sickness and in health. I read something recently by a Mom saying "Personally, I think that woman who say they "love" being a mom all the time are full of crap. Who could possibly really enjoy being woken up out of a deep sleep in the middle night by a puking kid." I don't enjoy a puking kid waking me, but I LOVE that I am the one to bring comfort to this poor "puking kid."

Here's what I know. I KNOW that a person can handle any situation they are granted. My current situation is a 3 year old who is trying to figure out just how serious her parents are about not letting her set the rules in the house and a 2 year old who may or may not be sick and who may or may not be extremely naughty. All of the situations, I know I can get through. I once watched a Blue's Clues episode LONG before I had children, where Steve taught his audience how to deal with frustration. He said "stop, breathe and think."

I think I will try just that.

5 Comments:

  • At 2/16/2006 07:38:00 AM, Blogger Tracy said…

    Aw Beth, I feel your pain. Crazy as it sounds, I hope Noah has an ear infection that a little antibiotic can heal. We are going through a lot of growing pains here also. Very time consuming and trying on the patience, but hey, that is how they learn to get through the world.

     
  • At 2/16/2006 08:21:00 AM, Blogger Lynette3boys said…

    Great advice Beth. I think I need to do the same. Carson is in the same boat and has been so for the past year!!! Sometimes I think he has a hearing problem, but then if I whisper that I am going to go eat a cookie he pips up and says, "Me too!" So much for the hearing impaired theory. Just keep your sanity as hard as it may be at times. Trust me - I am there many many times a day! Great post, really enjoyed it.

     
  • At 2/16/2006 11:12:00 AM, Blogger Penny said…

    poor Beth.. I think those kinds of stages really are amplified when you have more then 1. With one you can focus on that child only with two you have to triage. It can be very frustrating when BOTH kids are having issues (even being sick can be soo hard to deal with.)

    Loved what you said.. close your eyes and imagine your house with two teenagers. :) now open them and enjoy your preschooler and toddler :)

     
  • At 2/16/2006 02:13:00 PM, Blogger Sara T said…

    Oh you are so cute! I love your blog. I can relate so much!!! Hugs!

     
  • At 2/16/2006 04:33:00 PM, Blogger Christy M. said…

    Wow Beth!! Sounds so familiar. I think BJ is going through the stage Anna is right now. Well, to think of it, he's a little bit of Anna and Noah rolled into one. I know how frustrating it is (refer back to my blog, dates 1/12 & 1/31).

    BJ is a hitter. I'm not talking about a little smack, I'm talking about me feeling like I've been b**** slapped by a pimp or something. The kids has an arm and two strong legs. When he gets frustrated (which is about 30 times a day) he resorts to hitting and kicking. The kid will run at me from across the room with his hand held high. I'm not sure what to do about it, but I really try not to laugh! I also couldn't tell you how many times we've read the book "Hands are NOT for Hitting."

    This too shall pass. Hopefully quick for your sake!!!

    Hugs!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting